dimanche 13 mai 2012

CULTURAL VERTIGO





Just finished reading the debut novel of Korean American author ,Y. Euny Hong. It had me in stitches…as they say. I highly recommend it...a cautionary tale...especially to recent University graduates.
Then I ran across the German translation.   As you can see, there is a dramatic difference in the cover interpretation of the story.
I have become convinced, over the years, that foreigners have a keener understanding of the cultural nuances of societies than we Americans have ofourselves.
German edition

Which brings to mind a quote from one of my favorite American actresses,Sesame Street's Miss Piggy...
On Chinese food and Chopsticks:
"You do not sew with a fork, and I see no reason why you should eat with knitting needles."

~Miss Piggy’s Guide to Life (1981),

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire